Hands of woman and his son holding coins on wooden table. Concept of child supportIt can be grueling to undergo the legal process for the first time. What’s worse is having to do it again when opposing parties do not follow through with their court-mandated duties. Legal processes such as divorce, custody battles, and child support are already difficult for many parties involved, and fighting for your rights at times can seem futile. However, your Milford, CT attorneys at Larracuent & Goulden, LLC are ready to fight for you and ensure that you achieve what’s owed to you.

When to Seek Legal Counsel

Attempting to traverse the legal realm alone is possible, but it is extremely difficult for those who are not trained in the field. A variety of factors are taken into consideration, including parties involved, occupations, family history, assets owned and/or shared, number of children, income level, and more. The list goes on and on, and having an experienced attorney on your side to help you wade through it can serve as a major asset to your case. What’s more, legal matters that have already been settled such as establishing custody or enforcing child support payment deadlines leave much up to the court to enforce the items listed in the agreement. With all of this in mind, however, it is important to recognize that not everything follows as smoothly as it is laid out, and at times, ex-partners or non-custodial parents fall behind on these payments or even fail to make them at all. When this occurs, it may be time to seek an attorney.

Understanding Your Rights

As a custodial parent, your rights are explicitly outlined in the parenting agreement you and your former spouse signed trailing the end of your custody battle. In addition to this, child support payments, amounts, and more are outlined as well. In the event of a major move that would separate the child from the non-custodial parent, or the non-custodial parent was laid off from their job, a modification can be made before the court. It is crucial, however, that these changes are recorded in the document, otherwise, the original document stands and will be enforced. This means that if your former partner is refusing to make payments and it has not been addressed or updated in the agreement, you may have some legal claim and should seek the help of a trained lawyer.

Advocating for You

The legal world is not as black-and-white as many make it out to be, and having a dedicated professional to help you wade through all of the difficult terrains can be necessary to ensure your voice is heard. Contact the law office of Larracuent & Goulden, LLC in Milford, CT by calling 203-951-6688 to consult with an attorney today.